Only three months after President Abraham Lincoln was shot, and as the Civil War came to an end, reflective revival meetings in our area awakened a deep desire for a new church. On Friday, July 28, 1865, a presbytery met consisting of J. G. Landrum, T. J. Earle, and the elders of New Prospect, Mount Zion, and Holly Springs Churches. With nineteen charter members, composed of nine men and ten women, Mount Calvary Baptist Church was founded.
Originally the church began formation in 1861, when Ananias Dill conducted a meeting at the residence of a Joe Lawrence. The location was at Holston Creek and believed to be approximately one-half of a mile west of the old Gramling School. In 1862, services were conducted under an arbor, located on a knoll about a quarter of a mile east of Mr. Lawrence's house. In 1863, meetings were moved to Bird's Creek near the Mark Ragan home and meetings were conducted, once again under a brush arbor. The following year, 1864, meetings were held on the north side of Windmill Hill near the home of J. R. Tinsley (presently the residence of Marvin and Pauline Tinsley Blackwell).
The name Mount Calvary was retained until March 12, 1904, when the church voted to change the name to First Baptist Church of Inman. On November 11, 1905, the name was changed to Inman Baptist Church until it became known as First Baptist Church in 1915.
Later, as members searched for a permanent building site, William Gowan offered the church a purchase of five acres, which is our present site. For a sum of $100, the church received a title to the property on February 4, 1879. A small wooden building on this property was used for convening until 1896 when a brick structure was erected and in 1924 the auditorium was constructed.
Growth continued, and by 1941 the parsonage was build, followed by the Fellowship Hall in 1948. In early 1955 a building fund was established for more adequate educational facilities and by March 29, 1959, soil was turned for a new building addition. In 1981 our present Family Life Center was born and in 1997 the current building, including new offices, new Fellowship Hall, Atrium and new classroom and educational space was added to create the beautiful facility we now enjoy.